I know I haven’t finished posting about Thanksgiving and I feel terrible about that. But I am currently waiting for one of the cornbread dressing recipes to be sent to me, and this recipe is not one that I just wing. Believe me, it’s worth the wait. So in the meantime I will post a different recipe that I made a couple weeks ago, shredded chicken tacos with cilantro lime rice. My friend was coming over so naturally I spend a good chunk of the day looking for a good recipe to make. I came across a shredded chicken recipe that instead of cooking the chicken on the stove, you poach the chicken in salsa…GENIUS! and let me tell you, I will never cook chicken for a mexican meal a different way. the salsa gave the chicken the perfect flavor and tenderness, and after you shred the chicken you put it back in the salsa to keep marinating which just boosted the chicken flavor tremendously.
Now, once I had the chicken part of the tacos figured out I couldn’t stop there. I have always like rice in my mexican food, burritos, tacos, you name it. But I got to thinking, there must be a rice recipe that is easy but delicious. I know that Chipotle is not very authentic, and I never would argue that it is, but I do love their rice. So I searched pinterest for a similar recipe and found hundreds! The rice was really easy to make and added the perfect cilantro-y limeness without being too overpowering. ENJOY!
Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa of your choice (I chose a chipotle salsa which was delicious)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- fresh salsa
- sour cream
- Chipotle lime rice (see recipe below)
- Add chopped onions to a pot with a lid with about 1 tbl olive oil until slightly opaque
- Add the salsa for poaching, chicken breasts and water to cover the chicken, place lid on pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 min until chicken is cooked through
- In a separate bowl, place 1/2 cup same poaching salsa and 1/4 cup water.
- Remove chicken from pot and set on a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Discard the liquid that the raw chicken was cooked in. Add the Salsa mixture that was set aside to the pot and heat until warm.
- With two forks, shred the chicken breast and place shredded chicken breast into the pot with the fresh salsa mixture.
- Prepare other toppings for tacos, assemble and enjoy!