So apparently everyone knows what spaghetti squash is. Well at least those people who commented on my facebook post when I made the dish. But for anyone that doesn’t know or who has never made it…this post is for you. Possibly one of the easiest meals to make (as squash recipes usually are), and super healthy (you know, since it is squash). I have to say the main thing I loved about this dish is that I didn’t get immediately full like with other actual pasta dishes. I had probably 4 days of leftovers from making just one squash (realities of cooking for 1) but I never got tired of it! It definitely does not taste like spaghetti or any kind of pasta, you taste mainly the sauce and any seasonings or cheese you add to it. And the texture it similar to an al dente pasta which I happen to love so I really had zero complaints about this meal and cannot wait to make it again! (maybe for more than just me this time =) )
- 1 spaghetti squash–obviously the larger you get it the more squash you will get out of it
- 1/2c water
- 1 jar of marinara
- 1/2 c shaved parmesan
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1 tbl Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove all the seeds (the more you scrape out the flesh at this point the less you will have in the end)
- Season each half with salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish facing up with about 1/2 c water in the dish.
- Place in oven and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the flesh is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and with a fork, start scraping the flesh. (you will see it starts coming off in strands like spaghetti) Scrape as much as you can out until you hit the outer flesh, continuously placing scraped flesh in a baking dish.
- Add the pasta sauce and italian seasoning and toss to coat. Top with mozzarella, and parmesan and place back in oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve in a bowl or evenback in the empty spaghetti squash shell, top with parsley and ENJOY!