Ok, no I did not make homemade greek yogurt from scratch. But I did discover a very easy way to make it from nonfat plain yogurt! When I first read that this was the technique to make greek yogurt I was shocked, and then remedied the dissonance by convincing myself that actually doing it would be harder than it seems. Little did I know 24 hours after I read that, I would have greek yogurt out of simple plain yogurt. Now, when I first had greek yogurt I really did not like it. The idea that I would be eating something so thick just didn’t sit well. So for a long time after that I stuck to my regular yogurt. Until one day, for some reason greek yogurt was exactly what I wanted, and from then on its been greek yogurt. There isn’t much of a recipe to this post, more of a technique, but I will describe it here.
- Find a large bowl that a pasta strainer can sit on top of while also leaving space in the bottom of the bowl to catch the liquid.
- Line the pasta strainer with heavy duty paper towels (or cheesecloth if you have one…I do not)
- Pour the contents of the plain yogurt on top of the paper towels in the strainer
- Place the bowl with the strainer on top in the fridge, let sit for at least 24 hours
- What remains above the paper towels is your greek yogurt! Make sure to save the plain yogurt container to put the greek yogurt back in.