Who knows where cravings come from but somehow a simple thought about a certain food can distract you so much from your day that you simply can’t do anything until you satisfy that craving. Easy ones tend to fall into the simple categories of needing something sweet or salty, they aren’t specific enough to really throw you a for a loop. This is precisely what happened to me one day while I had to sit through another two hours of work when I was hit with this idea for a spicy chipotle cream sauce over penne pasta with sliced bell peppers. Let me just tell you those two hours dragged on and felt like two days. Which was precisely how long in real life that I had to wait to actually fulfill this craving and create this recipe.
I actually got the idea from a dinner I attended last summer where one of the options to order was a vegetarian penne pasta with a spicy cream sauce. I did not actually order this dish but I tried it and good god it was spicy. It lived up to the name for sure but something about the creamy sauce over pasta inspired me and paired with the wonderful slow burn of chipotle peppers I knew I had to try to recreate this dish…just with a little less spice to it.
This chipotle craving lasted a few recipes which was actually convenient because I didn’t use nearly the whole can of chipotle peppers and luckily it didn’t have to go to waste due to this craving. (see chipotle turkey meatball post)
Penne Pasta with Sauteed Chicken Breast Topped with Chipotle Cream Sauce
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3/4 package of penne pasta (I personally like whole wheat)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 or 5 sweet bell peppers (or 1 large bell pepper) sliced into thin slices
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 4 tbl chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- olive oil
- 1 tbl chili powder
- 1 tbl paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot boil water for pasta and cook according to package
- season each chicken breast with salt and pepper, chili powder, and paprika
- in a nonstick pan add 2 tbl olive oil, when hot add chicken breast. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes on each side to brown then lower heat, add chicken broth and cover. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until done.
- While chicken is cooking chop about 3 chipotle peppers into small pieces. When chicken is done remove from pan. Add chopped chipotle peppers, heavy cream, 2 tbl adobo sauce, and sliced bell peppers. Simmer over low head until reduced until thickened to taste. (make sure you test spicyness, the more adobo the spicier it will be. if too spicy add chicken broth and simmer again, if not spicy enough add more adobo)
- Slice chicken into strips, arrange pasta into a bowl or on a plate. Top with sliced chicken, Chipotle sauce to taste, and chopped parsley. ENJOY!