Alright, raise your hand if as a child, you told people your favorite food was pizza… guaranteed 3 out of 4 of you will smile to yourself in agreement (or actually raise your hand if you felt so inclined). Pizza is a kids best friend, greasy, cheesy, carb filled goodness is exactly what I always wanted as a kid for dinner. most likely this was because pizza was a rare dinner in my household so the mention of this coveted gem of a dinner was enough to elicit that well known pavlovian response.
Pizza was that easy response when asked what my favorite food was, I wasn’t old enough to appreciate food filled with great spices or with unique ingredients so therefore pizza was always the answer. So every now and then, now that I am older I get that wellknown craving for nothing but salty, cheesy, perfectness. However I will change it up, never in my childhood life would I ever imagine a pizza with goat cheese or butternut squash. Nope it had to be pepperoni. But with my love of food it brings me so much joy to discover and create unique pizza with combinations that generally would not go together.
For this meal, however, it was not a butternut squash, or arugula, or goat cheese combination that I craved most. It was the simple but always delicious BBQ chicken pizza. A combination that I never particularly enjoyed growing up, but one that I do appreciate on occasion…occasions such as intense pizza craving. Pizza is a great meal to make with friends or by yourself or even for fun dinner parties where everyone can just make their own combination, but for this dinner I made it for myself and thoroughly enjoyed every leftover piece for the next few days.
Ingredients: 1 premade package of pizza dough (I am personally obsessed with Trader Joes whole wheat, but any will do), 1/2 BBQ sauce (or more to taste), about 6oz shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 chicken breast cut into small pieces, 1/4 sliced yellow onion, 2 cloves smashed garlic, 2 tbl granulated sugar (for carmelizing), salt and pepper to taste, 2 tbl olive oil, parmesan cheese (optional).
1. Preheat oven according to pizza dough directions (usually about 350). Pull out the pizza dough and thin it out using your hands and possibly a rolling pin until it reaches desired thickness (The package may have instructions). **if you are using a precooked pizza dough this step is not necessary** roll the edges of the dough to form a crust around the edges.
2. in a medium pan add 1 tbl olive oil with the garlic and saute until the garlic is slightly brown. Remove from pan. Add the onions and saute for about 1 minute or until they start to wilt. Add the sugar and continue cooking and stirring until the onions are translucent and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from pan.
3. add another tbl olive oil. Add chopped chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove and add to garlic and onions.
4. Spread the BBQ sauce evenly over the pizza dough and top with mozsarella. Add the garlic, onion, and chicken mixture to the top of the cheese. Add any parmesan or remaining moszarella that you want to.
5. Bake according to pizza package directions (about 20 minutes). ENJOY!
* I have a knack for spicy food so I wanted to add a kick to this pizza so I added some red pepper flakes to the chicken as I was cooking it and it added the perfect heat to the pizza.